Courses & Programs
We offer a variety of courses and programs to choose from. Scroll down or click to the specific program you are interested in.
Semester Long Courses
This academic course focuses on Hebrew as the source language of the Bible. The translator is also introduced to the context of the Bible, the land in which was written. This unique combination equips translators to provide a more accurate and natural translation into their own mother tongue as the target language. The program has been offered in conjunction with the Rothberg International School for Overseas Students of the Hebrew University since 1995. Instruction is offered in alternative years in English or French.
The Language and the land: 6 semester courses
2021 SPECIAL SEMESTER PROGRAM
FOR CONSULTANTS, CONSULTANTS-IN-TRAINING
& Advanced MTT's
Accredited by the Hebrew University
Rothberg International School.
Advanced studies in Biblical Hebrew translation
led by experienced translation consultants.
Five-month study program at JCBT in Israel
Dates: Monday Jan. 25th – Wednesday, June 30th, 2021.
This is a semester program which is taught as a whole.
The courses are taught in sequence in modules of ca. one month each.
Each course will be taught by experts in the specific areas of BH.
- Participation in a Bible translation project – approval from the Project Leader
(see the special Project Leader Form in the JCBT application packet).
- Successful Completion of a Written JCBT test in Biblical Hebrew. The test requires knowledge of Intermediate Biblical Hebrew grammar and a vocabulary of at least 500. For help in preparation for the test, CLICK HERE.
- Familiarity & use of Paratext.
Registration to the Semester Program closes on October 15th.
JCBT Hebrew Entrance Test should be submitted by October 31st.
Hebrew University Acceptance Letter by November 20th.
Short Term Courses
Fourteen Days of Eye Opening Insights into the Hebrew Scripture and its Context
We offer several insightful courses on the historical, archaeological and geographical context of Scripture and how this understanding can impact translations. With Bible in hand trips to Biblical sites throughout the Land are experienced with an eye toward Bible translation issues.
Since translation consultants check and approve the Biblical accuracy of the mother tongue translations, they must be knowledgeable in not only the text of the Bible but also of the context in which the words were written.
Translation consultants should have a minimum of one study experience in the Land of the Bible to learn about its geography, archaeology, flora, fauna, etc., forming an experiential dictionary of Biblical terms and resulting in improved expertise in advising toward a more accurate and natural translation.
Participation in the “Land of the Bible” Course is for Bible Translators & Consultants
The awareness of how knowing the external “context” of Scripture enhances the ability to better understand the Text has increased tremendously over the past two decades. Short term “Land of the Bible” courses designed specifically for Bible translators or scholars throughout the year. Each study tour can be tailor made and typically includes both class lectures as well as field trips throughout the Land of Israel.
The course is open to all but certain preferences apply:
1. Preferably currently consulting in a Hebrew Bible (OT) translation project. National consultants are encouraged to apply as JCBT can help in the visa process.
2. Preferably under 55 years of age.
Short-term courses by JCBT:
- Are tailor made for consultants and translation groups.
- Focus on how the context impacts the understanding of the original Text.
- Are inexpensive and flexible for each group.
Private Tutorials in Hebrew
Private tutorials in either Biblical or Modern Hebrew, tailor made to individual needs, can be arranged through JCBT for visiting students or scholars.
Residence Studies for Scholars
JCBT also provides inexpensive residence for scholars and translators on study sabbaticals. Available only when space permits between each of the official study programs.
One book at a time- special course
An in-depth study of the book of Proverbs.
November 2nd- 20th, 2020
Special annual courses are offered in the desire to help fill a great need for consultants to delve deeply into the difficult poetical texts of the Hebrew Bible. 2020 will be the third time JCBT is offering a high level course that delves deeply into the Biblical Hebrew text and its context in the land. The book of Psalms was studied in 2018 and the Book of Micah in 2019.
- “Nothing compares with personal experience of the settings of events about which I have been teaching and consulting for a lifetime. Every day I am using the resources gained.”
- "Wonderful experience. The course has helped me to understand the scripture better, and also it has helped me to enjoy my daily Bible reading."
- "This has been one of the best courses and it was good to see the geography, land, animals, vegetation, etc that of the Bible. Now when I read the Bible thins are becoming live and interesting."
- "Without knowing the context of the land, my knowledge or understanding of the Bible would have been wrong. Language in the context is the essential key to make all the knowledge connected so as to become clear."
- "I have to say that my understanding of Biblical culture and context before the course was very superficial. However, I have seen the real soil of this land, I experienced the weather/climate, I felt what we cannot get form the pictures on the internet or information in books. I am sure that I will read the Bible with more vivid eyes."