Courses & Programs
We offer a variety of courses and programs to choose from. Scroll down or click to the specific program you are interested in.
Semester Long Courses
The Language and the land: 6 semester courses
Advanced Study Program
for Translation Consultants
JCBT Spring Semester 2023 at the Hebrew University Jerusalem
February 1 – June 30, 2023
Five-month program: 2 months by Zoom - FEBRUARY/MARCH
3 months in Israel – APRIL/MAY/JUNE
BY ZOOM - FEBRUARY/MARCH
1. Advanced Reading of Biblical Hebrew Texts - by Zoom (3 cr.) - February 1 – March 1
2. Semantics of Biblical Hebrew - by Zoom (3 cr.) - March (with introductory meeting January 30 – 31)
3. Living Biblical Hebrew - by Zoom February – March, rest in Israel (6 cr.) - February 1 – March 31, given alongside courses 1 and 2.
PART B: IN ISRAEL – APRIL/MAY/JUNE
4. Historical Geography and Cultural Backgrounds of the Land of the Bible (6 cr.) - April – May, alongside the other courses. (15 field trips, 45 lectures)
5. Discourse Analysis of Biblical Hebrew - by Zoom (3 cr.) - May, alongside Living Biblical Hebrew.
6. Biblical Hebrew Poetry (4 cr.) - June
Accredited Hebrew University credits: 19 credits in Biblical Hebrew and 6 credits in Historical Geography of the land of the Bible. Total: 25 credits at Hebrew University.
Short Term Courses
Fourteen Days of Eye Opening Insights into the Hebrew Scripture and its Context
We offer several insightful courses on the historical, archaeological and geographical context of Scripture and how this understanding can impact translations. With Bible in hand, trips to Biblical sites throughout the Land are experienced with an eye toward Bible translation issues.
Since translation consultants check and approve the Biblical accuracy of the mother tongue translations, they must be knowledgeable in not only the text of the Bible but also of the context in which the words were written.
Translation consultants should have a minimum of one study experience in the Land of the Bible to learn about its geography, archaeology, flora, fauna, etc., forming an experiential dictionary of Biblical terms and resulting in improved expertise in advising toward a more accurate and natural translation.
Participation in the “Land of the Bible” Course is for Bible Translators & Consultants
The awareness of how knowing the external “context” of Scripture enhances the ability to better understand the Text has increased tremendously over the past two decades. Short term “Land of the Bible” courses designed specifically for Bible translators or scholars throughout the year. Each study tour can be tailor made and typically includes both class lectures as well as field trips throughout the Land of Israel.
The course is open to all but certain preferences apply:
1. Preferably currently consulting in a Hebrew Bible (OT) translation project. National consultants are encouraged to apply as JCBT can help in the visa process.
2. Preferably under 55 years of age.
Short-term courses by JCBT:
- Are tailor made for consultants and translation groups.
- Focus on how the context impacts the understanding of the original Text.
- Are inexpensive and flexible for each group.
Private Tutorials in Hebrew
Private tutorials in either Biblical or Modern Hebrew, tailor made to individual needs, can be arranged through JCBT for visiting students or scholars.
Residence Studies for Scholars
JCBT also provides inexpensive residence for scholars and translators on study sabbaticals. Available only when space permits between each of the official study programs.
COURS INTENSIF SUR LA NARRATION ET LA POESIE EN HEBREU BIBLIQUE
INVITATION COURS INTENSIF SUR LA NARRATION ET LA POESIE EN HEBREU BIBLIQUE
- des études de DISCOURS de deux genres littéraires dans la Bible hébraïque : les textes narratifs et les textes poétiques. Les textes de référence seront le livre de Jonas et le livre de Psaumes (une sélection avec d’autres textes poétiques).
- Un survol GEOGRAPHIQUE du pays d’Israël, concentré sur des sites et des éléments en rapport avec les textes choisis.
AN INVITATION TO an intensive course on NARRATIVE and POETIC TEXTS in the HEBREW BIBLE
- Discourse studies of two biblical genres in the Hebrew Bible: narrative and poetic texts. Our reference texts will be the book of Jonah and the book of Psalms (selections with a few other poetic texts)
- An overview of the historical geography of the land of the Bible, concentrating on sites and elements related to the texts under study.
- “Nothing compares with personal experience of the settings of events about which I have been teaching and consulting for a lifetime. Every day I am using the resources gained.”
- "Wonderful experience. The course has helped me to understand the scripture better, and also it has helped me to enjoy my daily Bible reading."
- "This has been one of the best courses and it was good to see the geography, land, animals, vegetation, etc that of the Bible. Now when I read the Bible things are becoming live and interesting."
- "Without knowing the context of the land, my knowledge or understanding of the Bible would have been wrong. Language in the context is the essential key to make all the knowledge connected so as to become clear."
- "I have to say that my understanding of Biblical culture and context before the course was very superficial. However, I have seen the real soil of this land, I experienced the weather/climate, I felt what we cannot get form the pictures on the internet or information in books. I am sure that I will read the Bible with more vivid eyes."
- I am very happy to go through this to say good evening to all who are in JCBT... I returned to Benin well, and I started the service in the translation team. I attended a Fulani conference in Benin, which took place from August 27 to 31, 2019. This conference brought together about a thousand people. All are Fulani Christians from Benin. In this lecture, I presented many images of the country of Israel, and we prayed for Israel and for JCBT and all those are in JCBT.